Tuesday, January 14, 2014

It's been a while...

Over a year in fact! And so much has happened, it's a little overwhelming.
Since my last post, I spent three months in Bethel, AK working, then a month trying to figure out how to function in the real world again. Then I went to DC for the presidential inauguration, then New Orleans for the Superbowl and Mardi Gras (and the food!) and then to Kotzebue, AK for three months.
I love Kotzebue, and this is the first winter I haven't spent any time there, and I miss the community and my friends.

And then I moved. I left Alaska. It was hard, leaving my family and friends, but it was time for a change. I had lived in Juneau for over eight years, and I still think of it as home (well, I think of Montana as home, but I only spent my infancy there). I needed some perspective. My dad helped me pack up my car, and I got on the ferry.

I moved to Southern Oregon. Medford. And it was different. There were things I loved, and things I didn't. I loved the farmer's market, and my friends, but not the heat. I spent almost every other weekend driving to my brother's nephew's house in Portland to visit and bond over ice cream and comic books. But I knew something was missing.

So I applied for a job in Colorado. I interviewed while on vacation in Palm Springs visiting one of my favorite people. Side-note: I love Palm Springs. Again, not the weather, but the food (go eat at Cheeky's, order the chilaquiles and you will love me forever) and the architecture, and that my dear Ela lives there. And we went to Joshua Tree, which is like visiting Mars (or what I think Mars ould look like if it were less red). And I forgot about the interview.


Joshua Tree

 Chilaquiles

And then I got an email at work one day, almost a month later. Offering me a small promotion to move to Aspen. As in Dumb and Dumber fame. I thought about it for two whole seconds, then I packed up my apartment, called my mother, and we headed to Colorado. Four months after moving to Oregon.
Colorado is where my mother's roots are, so she enjoyed the trip down memory lane, and how much the area has changed.

I like Aspen, and the Roaring Fork Valley, it is beautiful. I realized I missed the mountains of Alaska. I arrived in the fall, with the trees turning golden, and the town a little sleepy. I thought it was perfect. I still do, but it is not quite what I thought it would be at first. But I'm happy here!
I am not wealthy, not even close, I get by, but I realized I am in another world now. Especially now that winter is here. And the wealthy ridiculously rich come out of the woodwork. The locals are great. There are things to do, and I can fish year round (I haven't gone yet, but I am going to!).

I know I'm happier here because I am cooking and baking again (it doesn't hurt that I want to use the oven to warm up either). And I'm working on my resolution, be healthier and happier!

So, I'm hoping to update on a regular basis, and share more of my cooking, as my Facebook friends are constantly asking for recipes.


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment